Admin

Our School

Louise Luxford Elementary School was built in 1961, necessitated by the completion of Aragona Village, a 3200 housing complex. Luxford Elementary stands on 12.7 acres of dairy farm land, half of which was purchased by Princess Anne County, the remaining being a generous donation from Mr. William W. Oliver, Jr., a local prominent farmer and businessman.

Luxford opened in 1961 with a classroom capacity of 31, a teaching staff of 36 and a student population of 1243. It housed grades one through six, and later added a seventh grade. In 1973 kindergarten classes were included. 

The namesake of the school, Louise Luxford, was born and reared in Pungo, Virginia Beach. She was the daughter of the late Dr. Thomas Booker Luxford and Meta Moore Luxford. She graduated from Maury High and received a bachelor's of science from Madison College and a master's in art from the University of Virginia. While attending Madison College, she was initiated into Kappa Delta Pi and shortly after her teaching career began she was initiated into Delta Kappa Gamma. She served as an elementary and secondary teacher, elementary principal, supervisor of elementary schools, and director of instructional personnel for the Virginia Beach City School system. She also held a life membership in the Princess Anne Historical Society and was a member of and treasurer of St. John's Baptist Church.
In July 2000, construction of an addition and renovation began, with a total budget of $7,776,659 began. It was completed during the summer of 2002. Approximately 100 students were rezoned from Williams and Newtown Elementary Schools.